Project Leader: Ari Shapiro
SmartBody is a character animation platform originally developed at the University of Southern California.
SmartBody provides the following capabilities in real time:
- Locomotion (walk, jog, run, turn, strafe, jump, etc.)
- Steering – avoiding obstacles and moving objects
- Object manipulation – reach, grasp, touch , pick up objects
- Lip Syncing – characters can speak with simultaneous lip-sync using text-to-speech or prerecorded audio
- Gazing – robust gazing behavior that incorporates various parts of the body
- Nonverbal behavior – gesturing, head nodding and shaking, eye saccades
- Character physics – ragdolls, pose-based tracking, motion perturbations
SmartBody is written in C++ and can be incorporated into most game and simulation engines. We currently have interfaces for the following engines:
SmartBody is a Behavioral Markup Language (BML) realization engine that transforms BML behavior descriptions into realtime animations.
SmartBody runs on Windows, Linux, OSX as well as the iPhone and Android devices. All the source code is available for download and is licensed under the LGPL license.
For questions about SmartBody and usage, please contact: Ari Shapiro, Ph.D.